Warm, soft, and topped with course salt. Just like the ones in the mall! Dip them in cheese sauce, mustard, or just eat them plain. They are delicious with almost any toppings! Some people even like them with cinnamon and sugar.
Pretzels are great because they are naturally fat free (as long as you don't add fat with the toppings). They also contain only a few basic ingredients that you probably have at home already... so get baking!
Big Soft Pretzels
(makes 12 large pretzels)
Slightly adapted from allrecipes.com
- 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, unpacked
- 1 1/8 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup bread flour
- 2 tablespoons course salt for topping
Water and baking soda bath:
- 2 cups warm water (110 degrees F)
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- Dissolve yeast and brown sugar in a large mixing bowl with 1 1/2 cups warm water. Stir in both flours and salt. Knead dough on a floured surface for about 8 minutes (or until smooth and elastic). Spray a bowl with non-stick spray and place dough inside. Cover and let rise for 1 hour (or until doubled in size).
- Stir 2 cups warm water and baking soda in a square baking pan or dish. Line 3 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Divide dough into 3 and place one piece on each baking sheet. Cover two of them (so they don't dry out) and then divide the remaining one into 4 pieces. Roll each piece into a rope about 2 ft long (try to get it as thin as possible; about the diameter of a pencil). Twist into a pretzel shape, securing the two ends into place with a bit of water. Dip into the water/baking soda solution, then immediately remove and transfer to parchment lined baking sheet. Cover baking sheet and let rise for 15-20 minutes. Repeat with remaining two pieces (i.e., divide into 4, roll into ropes, twist into pretzel shape) ending with 12 pretzels.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Top with course salt (or other desired topping like cinnamon and sugar) and bake for 6-9 minutes, or until golden brown. For a chewy pretzel, bake until very lightly golden in color.
(for 1 pretzel, 1/12th of the recipe)
- 139 Calories
- 31g Carbohydrates
- 2g Sugar
- 1g Fiber
- 0g Fat
- 4g Protein