The homemade fruit leather I made yesterday turned out so great, so I decided to try dehydrating other fruits in the oven. I am playing around with a few different combinations (apple cinnamon and strawberry banana to name a couple).
Oven-Baked Apple and Banana Chips
- 2 medium apples
- 2 medium bananas, ripe (but not spotted)
- juice of 2 lemons
- any additional toppings you may want (e.g., cinnamon, sugar, nutmeg, etc.), optional
- non-stick spray, optional
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper, spray with non-stick spray if desired. Fill a large bowl with cold water and the juice of 2 lemons.
- Wash apples, core them (I used a melon baller for this), and slice paper thin using a very sharp knife or a mandolin. Place them in the bowl of water/lemon to keep from turning brown. Peel bananas, cut thin (about an 1/8th of an inch), and place in water/lemon as well.
- Place apples and bananas in a single layer on baking sheets, sprinkle with toppings if desired (I added a tiny bit of cinnamon to the apples). Bake about 3 hours, or until crispy and lightly browned.
(for 1/8th of the recipe, or 1/2 an apple and 1/2 a banana)
- 44 Calories
- 12g Carbohydrates
- 7g Sugar
- 2g Fiber
- 0g Fat
- 1g Protein