Tuesday, 15 May 2012

Skinny Green Tea Ice Cream


I went out for sushi yesterday with my mom and Mark. It was fantastic! I had miso soup (50 calories), a cucumber roll (135 calories), and a tuna roll wrapped in cucumber instead of rice and seaweed (105 calories). That is a grand total of 290 calories for an excellent, and filling meal. You can check out the calorie counts of other common sushi items on a post I did here.

My meal (minus the soup) from Ozeki's in Kelowna, BC

I used to love finishing sushi off with green tea ice cream, but 1 cup of the stuff is around 500 calories and 36g of fat! I don't like missing out on the things I enjoy, so I decided to try making my own. After several attempts (some terrible), I finally developed a recipe that was practically fat free while still remaining smooth and creamy. At only 78 calories per serving, now you don't have to miss out either! Try it out and tell me how it goes.

Skinny Green Tea Ice Cream

(6 servings, about 3/4 cup each)

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
  • 1 14oz  can fat free evaporated milk (10 calories per tbs)
  • 6 green tea bags
  • 1 (4 serving) package sugar free, fat free vanilla pudding mix powder
Method:
  • Place a medium saucepan over low heat. Add almond milk and tea bags. Stir until it simmers (almost boiling); remove from heat, cover and let steep for 5 minutes.
  • Strain into a large bowl. Let cool to room temperature.
  • Whisk in evaporated milk and pudding mix. Immediately transfer to ice cream machine and freeze according to machine specifications.
    • I had mine in the machine for about half an hour, then transferred to the freezer for 30 min. 
  • If you do not have an ice cream machine, you may freeze the liquid then blend until smooth in a food processor. 

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION
(for 1 serving, about 3/4 cup)
  • 78 Calories
  • 9g Carbohydrates
    • 4g Sugar
    • 0g Fiber
  • 1g Fat 
  • 5g Protein
POINTS PLUS VALUE
  • 2

2 comments:

  1. what kind of ice cream machine did you have?

    ReplyDelete
  2. what kind of ice cream machine did you have?

    ReplyDelete