This recipe is easily doubled for a large group, and adaptable to different tastes. You could substitute cream of mushroom soup for cream of chicken. You could also replace the Greek yogurt with low-fat sour cream. Additionally, you can play with the amount of jalapeños you add, depending on preference.
Cheesy Chicken Enchilada CasseroleMakes 6 servings
- 3 chicken breasts (4oz each), diced
- 6 small, low-calorie tortillas (like weight watchers)
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeds removed and diced
- 1/2 cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup cream of chicken condensed soup, 98% fat-free
- 1/4 cup fat-free cream cheese
- 1-2 tablespoons chilli powder (more or less depending on taste)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat shredded "tex mex" cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray an 8x8 baking dish with nonstick spray.
- In a non-stick frying pan, fry diced bell pepper, onion, and jalapeño pepper in a little water over medium heat (no oil). Add chicken and continue to cook until chicken is no longer pink (adding more water as needed). Water should be mostly evaporated. Add Greek yogurt, cream of chicken soup, cream cheese, and chilli seasoning. Heat through.
- In an 8x8 pan, layer 2 tortillas (I find it easiest to cut them in half, then place the cut edge facing one of the 4 edges of the pan. Repeat 3 more times until the entire bottom is covered. Refer to picture below to get the idea of it), then 1/2 the chicken mixture. Repeat once more, then top the chicken mixture with the last 2 tortillas. Sprinkle the top with cheese and bake for 35 min, or until cheese is golden and bubbly.
*Note: you may want to divide your cheese so that 1/4 cup is inside the casserole and 1/4 cup is on top.
|First half of bottom layer|
|Bottom layer finished (2 tortillas, each cut in half)|
|Second layer of tortillas|
For 1/6th of the recipe:
- 206 Calories
- 22g Carbohydrates
- 3g Sugar
- 4g Fiber
- 6g Fat
- 20g Protein